- 1 pound of fresh, lean pork sausage
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium-size apples (Granny Smith is ideal) peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large heavy skillet, break up the sausage, fry over moderate heat till thoroughly cooked and drain on paper towels. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 1½ to 2 quart casserole dish. Layer the bread cubes across the bottom of the dish. Scatter the sausage evenly over the bread, arrange the apples over the sausage and sprinkle about three-quarters of the cheese over the apples.
- In a large bowl, beat the milk, eggs, sage and salt and pepper together till well blended. Pour over the casserole and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake till set and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.