- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 can (16oz) vanilla flavored ready-to-spread frosting
- Blue, yellow & red food coloring
- 1 red fruit-snack rollup
- 1 tube white decorating icing, fitted with a writing tip
- 2 chocolate-iced donuts
- 1 tube black decorating icing, fitted with a writing tip
- 1 twist of black licorice candy
- 6 candy wafers, such as Neccos
- 1 large green gumdrop
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare batter and bake cake according to package directions in 9 x 13 baking pan. Cool cake in pan on wire rack. Invert cake onto a serving platter. Slip narrow strips of wax paper between edges of cake and platter to avoid getting frosting on the platter.
- To form a bus shape, cut out a 2-inch by 3-inch rectangle from the upper left corner of the cake and round out the corners. (You will not be using the cutout pieces.)
- In small bowl place 1/3 cup frosting; tint light blue. Mix yellow and red food coloring (in a 4 to 1 ratio) into remaining frosting to tint bright yellow-orange. (You’ll need about half a bottle of yellow.) Frost surface and side of cake with yellow frosting. Remove waxed paper. With blue frosting, make bus windows.
- To make stop sign, cut fruit snack roll-up into a hexagonal shape. Place under bus driver’s window. Write Stop with white decorating icing (see note).
- To make tires, cut donuts in half horizontally.
Outline windows and make a steering wheel with black decorating icing.
- Write your child’s school’s name 1 ½” under windows. Cut licorice twist in half lengthwise and place above and below name.
- Use black icing to make faces and hair on candy wafers. Place wafers in windows. Use a pink wafer to make a light on the front of the bus.
- Roll out gumdrop and cut with scissors to make bus driver’s cap and jacket.
- Note: You may use untinted frosting instead of white decorating icing. Spoon about a tablespoon of frosting into a small plastic bag. Make a tiny cut in one corner and squeeze gently to form letters.