- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups half &half cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 1½ Tbs. pure vanilla.
- Mix sugar, flour, salt and cream in a saucepan and cook and stir constantly over low to med heat till mixture thickens. (Just to the bubble stage).
- Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs mix well.
- Return to the saucepan cook and stir for one minute.
- Set your pan in the ice portion of refrigerator overnight. (I chill mixture for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator)
- Mix the whipping cream and vanilla into the custard base and pour into the ice cream freezer.
- This ice cream is best when you double the recipe, it will fill the freezer to the top.
- Make sure you have enough rock salt and ice. For traditional ice cream freezers or follow directions for your modern one.
- Also for Rum Raisin ice cream just soak ¾ cup raisins in 3 oz. dark rum, soak raisins at least one hour. Strain and stir into the custard base when filling the freezer.