- 1 box (16 oz) Angel Food Cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water 4 cups (2 pints) strawberry ice cream, softened
- 2 cups (1 pint) blueberry ice cream, softened (Kemps has blueberries & cream frozen yogurt)
- Frozen whipped topping OR sweetened whipped cream
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- 1 cup small strawberries for garnish (optional)
Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions using 1 1/4 cups water. Pour the batter into an ungreased angel food cake pan, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula.
- Bake cake on the lowest oven rack with no racks above. Bake the cake until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 40-45 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and invert the pan onto the neck of a heatproof glass bottle. Allow to cool completely, 1 to
1 1/2 hours. Remove pan from bottle and run a long knife around the edge of the cake and invert cake onto a platter that can go in the freezer.
- Carefully split cake horizontally into 4 layers. Place bottom layer on platter and spread with half of the strawberry ice cream. Place the platter in the freezer until ice cream is solid about 15 minutes. Repeat the process with layer of blueberry and then another strawberry layer. Place the 4th layer of cake on top cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm about 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream on high until it has thickened. Add sugar and vanilla and beat another 1 1/2 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Spread the top and sides of the cake quickly with sweetened whip cream. Sprinkle with garnishes. Slice and serve at once or lightly wrap with waxed paper and return to freezer.
Cake best stored in waxed paper or in a plastic cake saver in the freezer for up to 2 weeks