- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pepperoni (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, basil, oregano, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Place the diced sun-dried tomatoes in a medium bowl and cover them with boiling water. Let them stand for 30 seconds, then drain the water and stir in the cheese and pepperoni.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and the buttermilk, then add them and the tomato mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until the mixture forms a sticky dough.
- Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured surface. Gently knead the dough until it holds together, about 5-10 times. Divide the dough in half and pat each half into a 1-inch thick disk. Slice each disk into 8 wedges.
-Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 16 scones.
Each scone 160 calories, 5 g. protein, 8 g. total fat, 5g. saturated fat, 1g.fiber.