- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 8 oz cream cheese (I used reduced fat)
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 lb. bag of powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped nuts (you can omit these, but we used pecans and they were yummy)
- Add the boiling water to the oats and leave stand for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cream together shortening and sugars then add the beaten eggs and vanilla.
- Mix together the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture along with the oatmeal mixture.
- Bake in two 9 inch greased and flowered cake pans (I used a 9×13 sheet) for 35-40 minutes at 375. Turn out and leave cool before frosting.
- To make frosting, cream together (room temp) cream cheese and butter, then blend in the sugar, vanilla, and nuts. Spread evenly over cake.