- 1 pkg. (18.5 oz.) plain devil’s food cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 jar (8 oz.) caramel topping
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 oz. each), crushed
- 1 container (12 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 pkg. (8oz) cream cheese, room temp.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Place the cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape sides of bowl, then increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more. The batter should look thick and well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing out the top with the spatula.
- Bake 35 to 38 minutes until cake springs back when touched lightly. Remove cake from oven and place on wire rack. Immediately poke holes in the top of the cake with a drinking straw or chopstick.
- Prepare the topping. Place caramel topping and sweetened condensed milk in a small bowl and stir. Spoon this over the warm cake so that it can seep into the holes.
- Measure out 1/2 of the crushed Butterfingers and sprinkle over cake.
- Place whipped topping and cream cheese in large mixing bowl and blend with electric mixer on low speed until smooth for 1 minute. Spread over the top of the candy and sprinkle the remaining candy on top.
- Place the pan, uncovered, in the refrigerator and chill the cake for about 20 minutes. This cake should be stored in the refrigerator, covered with wax paper. May be stored up to one week.