- 1 (3 to 4 pound) pineapple
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 pint light vanilla ice cream
- Cut the top and bottom off of the pineapple, peel and cut it crosswise into 8 rings, about 1/2-inch each. Use a spoon or apple corer to carve out the center core of each ring.
- Spray a large grill pan with cooking spray and heat over a medium flame. Grill the pineapple, in 2 or 3 batches, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until it is nicely brown and grill marks have appeared. (You can also grill this on an outdoor grill sprayed with cooking spray before being heated.)
- While the last batch of pineapple cooks, heat the butter, sugar and rum in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Place a pineapple ring on each plate, scoop 1/4 cup of ice cream into the center of the ring, and drizzle about 2 teaspoons of sauce on top.