- 1 cup milk scalded
- 1/2 cup water added to milk (after scalded, to help cool)
- Add 1 pkg. fast acting yeast to another 1/2 cup lukewarm water
Once milk/water is cooled to lukewarm add to the yeast/water mixture.
To that mixture add:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Add in some flour until you can still beat base with spoon.
- Then briefly microwave 4 tbsp. melted shortening until warmed (not hot); add to above mixture, stir well.
- Then start adding flour slowly – until you reach a soft dough consistency. (This will take 3 or more cups of flour before it is of the consistency to knead without being very sticky)
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. (approximately 5 minutes)
- Put in a greased bowl and grease the top of dough with butter. Cover loosely with a damp towel and let rise till doubles (approx. 2 hours).
- Divide dough into fourths; roll out into a circle.
- Butter each circle (like a generous toast buttering).
- Cut like a pizza or pie-8 slices.
- Roll into crescent shape starting with the outer edge ending with the point and curve slightly as you place on the cookie sheet.
- Cover again and allow to rise until doubled (approx. 2 hours).
(ALTERNATE METHOD: Cover and place in the freezer for up to a week.)
- Bake at 400 degrees 10 – 15 minutes until golden.
- If frozen allow 5 hours to defrost at room temperature and rise THEN bake the same. Do not bake from frozen state.