- 12 ounces fresh pineapple, pared and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces premium lager
- 8 ounces self-rising flour, sifted
- A little cold water, if needed
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 ounces desiccated coconut
- 6 Tablespoons dark rum
- 4 Tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- Dry the pineapple on paper towels. Heat a deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk the lager and flour together, adding a little cold water if needed until the batter is thick. Stir in sugar and coconut.
- Dust the pineapple in a little flour then place it into the batter.
- Gently shake off excess batter and then drop the coated pineapple pieces, one by one, into the hot oil. (Do not cook more than 8 pieces at a time or the temperature of the oil will dip and the pineapple will not crisp up the way it should.)
- When done, lift out the pieces with a slotted spoon and drain well on absorbent paper, repeating the process until all the pineapple is cooked. Sprinkle pineapple pieces with a little sugar and keep warm but uncovered.
- Mix the rum, confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan and warm it up. Spoon over fritters at the table.
- Serve with heavy cream or whipped cream.