- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger (¼ to ½ tsp. ground ginger)
- 1 ½ tsp. curry powder
- 1 ½ to 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- pinch of sugar
- Heat oil and butter in large saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Add onions, carrots, garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Cook until carrots are soft, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour in 1 ½ cups of broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, coconut milk, salt, sugar, and cook 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until very smooth.
- Return to pan and heat through.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream in the center of each bowl and scatter some minced red bell pepper and cilantro as a garnish. (optional)