- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 1 pound fresh Mexican chorizo or Italian sausage links
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach (about 10 cups)
- Smoked paprika (optional)
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 15-20 minutes. Transfer sausage to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet. Add onion, garlic, and thyme sprig. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5-8 minutes. Add beans and broth and cook, crushing a few beans with the back of a spoon to thicken sauce, until slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add spinach by handfuls and cook just until wilted, about 2 minutes.
Slice chorizo and fold into stew; add water to thin, if desired. Divide stew among bowls; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with paprika, if desired.