- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter or shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs well beaten
- 3 sq. unsweetened chocolate melted
- 1 tbsp. cream or milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon together. Cream butter thoroughly.
- Add sugar gradually and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, chocolate and cream and beat well.
- Add flour a small amount at a time beating after each addition until smooth.
- Chill until firm enough to roll out.
- Roll 1/4″ thick and cut with cookie cutter of your choice. Cut in pairs so one will be the ‘top’ and one will be the ‘bottom’ of the sandwich cookie.
- Mix egg with small amount of water to a consistency to brush on the cookie.
- Brush each of the ‘top’ cookies with egg mixture for glazing and decorate with sprinkles or your favorite confection.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 9 minutes.
- When cooled make the frosting below, spread frosting on the bottom and top with additional cookie.
- In bowl cream butter.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency.
- If necessary, thin with additional milk.
Makes 2 ½ – 3 dozen cookies, using small cookie cutters.