- One 2-2 ½-pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 ½-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- One large apple such as Gala or Jonagold, peeled, cored and cut into sixths
- One medium yellow onion, cut into sixths
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 teas. kosher salt
- ½ teas. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place the squash, apple & onion on the baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil, season with the salt & pepper and toss to combine. Roast in the oven until fork tender, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Make a sachet with the garlic, thyme and bay leaf (tied in a bundle using cheesecloth and cotton twine.) Bring chicken broth and sachet to a low boil in a stockpot over high heat. Add the squash, apple and onion. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and remove the sachet. Transfer to a blender in batches, and blend until smooth and creamy. Season the soup with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings.