- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- Salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar to taste
- Chopped parsley and heavy cream for garnish
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in butter about 5 minutes, until soft. Add the squash and apple. Sauté until the butter is absorbed, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the flour, curry powder, and nutmeg. Cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, milk, and the orange rind and juice. Simmer slowly uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Add salt, pepper and sugar. Serve hot, topped with a dollop of cream and a sprinkling of parsley.
- NOTE: This soup improves with keeping. Prepare a day or two in advance if time allows. Keep refrigerated.