- 5 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled
- 1-2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb. asiago cheese, shredded
- 1 pinch salt & black pepper
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Use baking dish with 2 inch or taller sides. Grease bottom and sides with the butter. Carefully but evenly spread the garlic out on the bottom of the pan.
- Slice your potatoes about 1/4″ thick. You may not want to do all the potatoes at once so potatoes do not oxidize.
- You will build 4-6 layers of potatoes, depending on the pan used. The layers need to alternate from being slightly overlapped (or shingled) side to side on the 1st layer, then up & down (opposite direction) on the next layer continuing to alternate direction with each layer.
- After laying down 1st layer of potatoes evenly poor 1/4 of the cream in a zigzag motion over the potatoes. Then sprinkle with 1/4 of cheese, then with pinch of salt & pepper then with 1/4 of parsley.
- Repeat this with each layer of potatoes, using your open hands to slightly press down each layer prior to adding the next. (This will give a clean slice and strong structure to your end product.)
- Place wax paper over the top & foil over the wax paper. Poke a few air holes in the foil & bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until “knife tender”.
- Take cover off and put back in oven to brown the top. Allow to set for 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Can be cooked and reheated for later (not in microwave).