News

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro will serve life without parole plus 1,000 years to avoid the death penalty. Photo: Associated Press/Tony Dejak

CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro is entering the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.

They escaped Castro’s house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.

Recent Headlines

53 minutes ago in Viral Videos

Kicked in the head by a train

Fresh
Kicked By Train

This man tried to take a selfie while a train passed but was a little too close.

1 hour ago in Entertainment

Donnie Wahlberg and Jenny McCarthy engaged

Fresh
donniewahlberg

Jenny McCarthy has the "right stuff" in the New Kids On The Block star's eyes.

today in Viral Videos

Slow motion parkour dog

Updated
Parkour Dog

If you thought parkour videos were cool, wait until you see the dog version!

today in Music

AC/DC will ‘rock on;’ Young has ‘debilitating illness’

brianjohnson

The band plans to begin recording in May, but founding member Malcolm Young won't be among them.

today in Lifestyle

Americans urged to plan for the end

doctors

National Health Care Decisions Day encourages people to think about their own end-of-life preferences.