News

Eagles obtain Sproles from Saints for draft pick

Eagles obtain Sproles from Saints for draft pick

TRADED: New Orleans Saints running back Darren Sproles (43) dives for his dropped punt return against the Dallas Cowboys during the first quarter at Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Photo: Reuters/John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

(Reuters) – The Philadelphia Eagles added another potent weapon to their up-tempo offense on Thursday by trading for versatile running back Darren Sproles from the New Orleans Saints, the NFL website reported.

Sproles, 30, an elusive threat catching the football as well as running it, had looked to be heading to free agency as a salary-cap cut by the Saints, who instead took a fifth-round pick in this year’s draft to get some compensation.

The speedy Sproles finished last season with 43 carries for 220 yards, 71 receptions for 604 yards and scored four touchdowns. In addition to a prominent role on offense, Sproles can also contribute to the NFC East champions as a return man.

In three seasons with the Saints after signing as a free agent from the Chargers, Sproles compiled 1,067 rushing yards, 1,981 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns.

While Sproles missed out on free agency, premier cornerback Darrelle Revis took advantage of his status to join perennial contenders the New England Patriots.

Just a few hours after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers released him on Wednesday, Revis agreed to terms with the Patriots on a one-year, $12 million contract.

Revis will replace Aqib Talib, who left the Patriots as a free agent to sign with the Denver Broncos.

Revis was cut after one season with the Bucs, who would have owed him $16 million for the upcoming season.

While Revis takes a pay cut, he will still earn about $2 million more than the next highest paid NFL cover man and will be eligible to shop his skills again as a free agent after the season.

(Reporting by Larry Fine in New York; Editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: July 29

Fresh
benjerrys

A look back at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.

in Music

Glen Matlock denies new Sex Pistols reunion

John Lydon, right, and Glen Matlock of The Sex Pistols perform at the Roxy in West Hollywood, Calif., on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007.

Sex Pistols star Glen Matlock dashes fans' hopes of another reunion by insisting he hasn't had any contact with John Lydon in five years.

in Music

Aretha Franklin storms out of fast food joint

FILE - In this May 11, 2013 file photo, Aretha Franklin performs during McDonald's Gospelfest 2013 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.Franklin won’t say what has caused her latest health problems, but says she’s had a “miraculous” recovery and is looking forward to performing soon.In a phone interview on Tuesday, Aug. 20, Franklin said that she recently had a cat scan and that it showed she was 85 percent improved. The 71-year-old has canceled several concerts and public appearances and blamed it on unspecified treatment.

Aretha Franklin stormed out a Johnny Rockets in Ontario, Canada last week after a nasty encounter with a rude employee.

in Music

The Beatles wanted to film ‘Lord of the Rings’

FILE- This is a 1967 handout image from Parlophone of The British group, The Beatles,. From left, are: Ringo Starr, John Lennon, Paul McCartney; and George Harrison. The woman who as a child was the basis for the Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is gravely ill. It was thought by many at the time that the psychedelic song from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band was a paean to LSD because of the initials in the title, but it was actually based on a drawing that John Lennon's young son Julian brought home from school. He told his father the drawing was of Lucy in the sky with diamonds. Lucy Vodden, now living in Surrey just outside of London _ drifted apart after schoolyard days, but they have gotten back in touch as Lennon has tried to help Vodden cope with Lupus, a life-threatening disease.

Peter Jackson reveals John Lennon could have played Gollum in a Stanley Kubrick directed LOTR adaptation.

in Entertainment

Fans support campaign to keep Sean Bean alive in new show

British actor Sean Bean arrives for a special UK screening of Cleanskin, at the Mayfair Hotel in central London, Monday, March 5, 2012.

The "Game of Thrones" actor has died more than 20 times in his career, and fans want it to stop.